Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Fetal Echo/Growth scan

Well where do I start....

The good: The baby's heart looks wonderful, no abnormalities were detected. Heart rate was normal range and chugging along perfect. Baby is moving around like crazy. Fluid level is wonderful. Cervix is still nice and long.

The not so good:  The baby is measuring small still. I am currently 25 weeks 4 days, and she is measuring 24 weeks. This puts her around the 3rd-4th percentile on the growth chart. They consider anything under 10% restricted. Right now she weighs around 1lb 7oz.

The why: After a close look at the baby, the umbilical cord, and the placenta...  It was determined that there is decreased blood flow through one of the vessels in the cord. The cord does have 3 vessels (normal) but one of the vessels going to the baby isn't flowing as good as it should be. The placenta still looks healthy and has good blood flow, the baby looks good (other then size), and the cord is the one causing the trouble.

The now what: Well this is the part that is going to be tough..... I am now on modified bed rest (again). And am out of work until this baby is born. It is thought that if I decrease my activity, it will help the blood flow to the baby. (this means no more walking 10+ miles 3 days a week at work) I will be spending a lot of time laying around watching tv, maybe I will learn a new skill. So if you want to send me some goodies, or crafts go right ahead ;)

The game plan: The Dr is shooting to deliver her between 35-37 weeks. This will only be the case if she continues to grow.  If she slows her growing down anymore it was brought up that I could be put on hospital bed rest. I am staying very positive and know we will get to at least 35 weeks. Eventually they will probably give steroids to help baby's lungs. I will now be getting weekly ultrasounds on Tuesdays. This may increase this as time goes on.

We were able to talk to Q&A via phone at the appointment and they got to ask questions.  I was also able to have a great conversation with each of them after the appointment. I think we are all on the same page, they feel so bad that I'm having to be on bed rest. But we all know it is what is best for this little girl. Rich and I knew when we signed up for this adventure there would be curve balls, and knew this was a thing that could come up, but didn't think it would happen. We will take everything one step at a time. Rich has been awesome, and understands he will have to do even more with kids and around the house. But we all have the same goal and will do what ever it takes to get a happy healthy baby here.

Thank you again to those of you who have been so positive and supportive!


1 comment:

  1. Such commitment, it is an amazing adventure that you are undertaking.

    ReplyDelete